New to chickens. I have lurked this site for a year and finally got myself 5 baby chicks. I'm scared to death they'll not do well under my care. Help

Pasty Butt. If you got them through the mail, quickly learn about pasty butt. I had 9 to treat the first night, then 3 last night. They will die if you don't pay attention to their vent and it gets plugged. Just google "pasty butt" and check them daily. Do not just pull it off if they have it. As for the few breeds I added from Rural King (like TSC, they get chicks from Hoover) still check them. If you see it, get warm water, a wash cloth, and gently follow directions and they will be alive to greet the next day. All mine are going great.

Not even sure how to use this site for info but I need it all for my new babies. Keeping in the sunroom now as we build coop and run. Just 3 days old but seem to be eating,drinking well. I'm reading all I can on raising chicks. Anything I need to concentrate on first? Thanks for any-all info!
You'll be fine. If you go through the forums, you might find what you're looking for or there's a Search upper right. You could also just message any one of us on here that sounded like we knew what we were doing. 🤷‍♀️

You said you're keeping them in the sunroom. Neato!☀️ For their first week, they should be around 95 degrees, then go down 5 degrees each week.

Tip: Be sure to check their butts often the first week for what's called pasty butt. That'll be obvious to you, and you can either just pick it off if it seems loose, but the safest way is to soak their butt in warm water, use a soft rag to work it off, then blow dry them on LOW until dry.

Welcome to BYC!!

Welcome to BYC, and greetings from another former lurker!

FYI, not everybody agrees about the cider vinegar in chicks' water, so read more about it before you decide. I think the idea is to provide some probiotics to help their immune system. I think I get the same effect by feeding my chicks (and grown hens, too) with mash. You make it by adding water to your chicken feed and let it sit so it ferments. It only takes a few hours to get a good ferment. I keep mash in a quart yogurt container, sitting in another, larger bowl to catch any overflow. I fill the yogurt container about 2/3 full with dry feed, and add water to cover. I wait a few moments for the bubbling to stop, and cover again. Put on the lid and let it sit inside its catch bowl. Spoon it out into a low saucer or bowl that your chicks can reach. It creates a lot less wastage than when chicks toss out or tip over their dry feed. Problems with pasty butt stopped after I put them on mash.

Here are my favorite beginning articles that helped me as a newbie. I hope you will find them helpful as well. All articles are short, have illustrations, and reviews, which are often worth looking at for the comments.

1. Intro to chicken keeping

2. Common mistakes & how to fix them

3. Ventilation (important to chicken health), with helpful links to coop designs organized by climate (because what is just right for my New England hens won't work for my brother's Arizona chickens)

3(a). Farmers Almanac on Building Coops (Includes size requirements!) Allowing plenty of space for chickens is really important because, even as chicks, they will start pecking each other or plucking their own feathers, or become unhealthy if they are overcrowded. Here is a link to Colorado State Extension's publication on space and temperature requirements for chicks as they age.

4. Predator protection for new & existing coops

5. Dealing with a muddy coop and run

6. Gardening for chickens

7. BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!

D. You can find posts just by entering your search word into the SEARCH box without choosing the Advanced Search option.

Notes about where to put a coop:

1. As far as you can, put a coop and run on high ground, that drains well, so you won't have so much muddy coop problems. Chickens need to be dry, dry, dry.

2. As far as you can, put a coop with the ventilation lined up with your prevailing breezes, and away from the direction of your storms. If you are not sure of these (who is these days?), check with your local National Weather Service website.

3. As far as you can, arrange for some sort of shade over your coop and run. Preferably deciduous so the girls will enjoy winter sun, but summer shade.
Wish I could give you two Informative votes...

Hello! Welcome to BYC! :frow

For now just make sure they have a big enough brooder, clean water and food, a clean brooder, and heat. If using a heat lamp make sure the whole brooder isn't being hit with that heat, so the chicks have somewhere to escape the it.

What's your brooder look like now?
We're using our late dogs cage right now. Lined the sides with cardboard to keep them in and have feed from where we bought them. Have water w/rocks in the dish and everything seems to be OK. Noticed they are getting taller and wing feathers showing. Hubby is building coop and run as fast as he can, Weather is just too hot for him (COPD) to work very long. Watching closely healthwise/clean chicks/happy Momma/Will try to get pics soon? Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom