New to chickens in Canada

VanessaMarshall

Chirping
Jul 7, 2017
IMG_3452.JPG
IMG_3453.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG

Hi I may be posting in the wrong area as this is my first post. We bought these 3 days ago from a hatchery as ready to lay but there haven't been any eggs yet. We were told they should lay right away. I'm thinking they may not be mature enough and they need to settle in their new environment. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Don't worry, you posted it the right place. Welcome to BYC!
As far as your girls, some people can tell by feeling their pubic bones to tell if they will start to lay.
download.jpg

Hi and welcome to BYC

Birds experience stress when moving from one "home" to another. One symptom of this is a halt in egg laying. Assuming they are of laying age (combs and wattles look quite red) they should resume laying soon. If they are not yet laying, I'd consider it a bonus, since you will know their age (i.e. around 6 months) and will have them for the whole of their productive life.

You may wish to drop by your country thread - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/144/canadians-check-in-here

Best wishes
CT

Hi and welcome to BYC

Birds experience stress when moving from one "home" to another. One symptom of this is a halt in egg laying. Assuming they are of laying age (combs and wattles look quite red) they should resume laying soon. If they are not yet laying, I'd consider it a bonus, since you will know their age (i.e. around 6 months) and will have them for the whole of their productive life.

You may wish to drop by your country thread - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/144/canadians-check-in-here

Best wishes
CT
Thank you. The combs don't look exceptionally red and they are supposed to be 24 weeks though I think that's just something on the bill of sale. My gut feeling is they are younger. Some of the combs are quite smaller than others. It's just the excitement of waiting for the first egg lol. Thanks for your kindness in replying

Welcome to BYC! What part of Canada are you in? We lived for a long time in Nova Scotia! Got tired of snow and moved to Florida in 1992. Now we are in Virginia. Do you have other pets or farm animals? Good luck with your lovely chickens.

Welcome to BYC! What part of Canada are you in? We lived for a long time in Nova Scotia! Got tired of snow and moved to Florida in 1992. Now we are in Virginia. Do you have other pets or farm animals? Good luck with your lovely chickens.
Thank you. I'm in Ontario and we just moved to a heritage house with a lovely barn. Chickens have always been a dream for me. We have 3 Australian Shepherds but no other farm animals. We are so happy to have left the city and now in the country. So amazing. I never liked winter either but we're still here. I'd rather be in Florida lol

Sit tight...the eggs will be coming soon, let them get settled in.
Welcome to BYC! :frow
We are glad you joined.
This video should help you learn how to navigate this site:

Back
Top Bottom