New to Chickens in Colorado

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Here's some ideas of what you can and cannot feed your chickens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Basically most green, leafy veg and alfalfa if you can get some. As Redsoxs suggested check out the Breeds and the Reviews to give you an idea about the different breeds. There are so many breeds available to choose from.

Thanks for welcomes.

Redsox,
What type of greenery or vegetables would they eat? Thanks for all your input!
Chickens have an amazing curiosity and appetite - they will eat nearly anything and very little is harmful (for instance, I have heard unripened potatoes that have green skin are bad for them). They eat all manner of kitchen scraps - love picking through fresh grass clippings, seemingly all garen veggies. Some people will hang or otherwise suspend a head of cabbage in the chicken run for those chickens who don't free range - the chickens get some entertainment as well as green stuff benefit. Here is a link to some treat that chickens like...understand this is supplemental to their normal chicken fee. Good luck! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

I am looking for egg layer first off. Looks and temperment are also on my list though.
I think almost any breed can be calm and friendly - with time and patience. Other breeds seem just more friendly from the outset. I agree with sumi about scanning the breeds thread for traits of temperment and good egg laying ability. I have a prefernce for Red and Black Stars for having a combination of those two qualities. But the same can be said of my Buff Orps and Black Australorps...and barred rocks, and Delawares, and... So, as you can see, you have a whle world of options and the best news - they are all good options!!!

Talked to my local Feed\Supply store and they're really flexable. Hopefully they can get what I'm looking for!
fl.gif

Berthoud Feed and Supply
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom