New to Chickens in Colorado

Dnetschke

Songster
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
Berthoud, CO
Hello All,
My wife and I are seriously looking into chickens, but we have some hurdles and questions. I have been reading A LOT of information on this sight and I'm getting a pretty good feel of what we're thinking of getting into here.

That said, let me elaborate on some of the sticking points I can think of.
  • We have a very small back yard (town home)
  • Chicken breeds? We live in Colorado and the winter can be a bit brutal
  • I have seen lamps used for heat. Does it have to be a heat lamp? Are there any alternatives?
  • What issues might I be overlooking as a novice?
    hu.gif

I appreciate all the input I can get and we hope to have chickens soon.

Thank you
D.gif

Welcome from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! I'll try to answer the questions as best I can. Good luck to you!!

Hello All,
My wife and I are seriously looking into chickens, but we have some hurdles and questions. I have been reading A LOT of information on this sight and I'm getting a pretty good feel of what we're thinking of getting into here.

That said, let me elaborate on some of the sticking points I can think of.
  • We have a very small back yard (town home) Chickens are very adaptable to the space made available to them. If you don't have ranging opportunities for them you can give them greenery and vegetables to make up for it.
  • Chicken breeds? We live in Colorado and the winter can be a bit brutal Check out the brown Breeds tab at the top of the your screen. You can search breeds for heat, cold, etc.
  • I have seen lamps used for heat. Does it have to be a heat lamp? Are there any alternatives? If you have a a good, well-constructed and draft-free coop, you don't need heat of any kind. That's not to say heat hurts, but they do just fine without it.
  • What issues might I be overlooking as a novice?
    hu.gif
    You've taken the first big step by joining and learning on BYC - it is a great place to learn!!! Experience is the best teacher but if you have issues along the way, feel free to ask - the folks here are only too glad to help! Good luck to you!!

I appreciate all the input I can get and we hope to have chickens soon.

Thank you
D.gif

Welcome! There a are a bunch of us here in Colorado.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado

There are many cold hardy chicken breeds to choose from. What kind of chickens do you like? Large Fowl? Feathered feet? Do you want a hen that lays lots of eggs? I would look around at some of the hatchery sites to see what you fancy. We are working on a breeders list on the Colorado thread.

Back
Top Bottom