new to chickens in N. CA

Jasperina

Chirping
8 Years
May 29, 2012
Hi everybody,
I live in northern CA and have had the chicken urge for a long time. Finally, earlier this year after some difficult setbacks, I decided that life was short and that I should go for it. During the winter, I bought a coop and built a fenced area for them to roam a little. Finally, in March, I brought my little flock of 5 home from the feed store. 2 australorps, 2 easter eggers and 1 buff cochin for fun.
So far, so good. They are nearly 12 weeks old now and seem really happy in their set-up. Watching them, interacting with them and solving their little issues is a major stress reducer in my day. I love the cochin, even though I know she will not be a good layer, and I have begun to dream of a blue cochin in my future... I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats. One of the dogs is VERY interested in the chickens, and I'm not sure what her intentions are, but they are well segregated from each other. She and the cochin sit and stare at each other from each side of the fence for hours. The other dog and the two cats could care less.
Having a few chickens is legal in our town, but I still worry about the noise factor when they start laying.
I've been to this page so many times and have gotten great information from it, so decided it was time to join so I could post in forums, etc.
I'm glad that sources like this are out here!

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Hello and :welcome

Glad to have you on board!
I like your philosophy. One of my favourite movie quotes is "You gotta get out there and take a piece of the pie!" :p
Your cochin sounds pretty cute. I know lots of peeps whose dogs get along fine with their chickens, but you're right to keep them separated.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

I'm in N Ca too. Davis. Our six pullets are almost twelve weeks old too. We have a silver laced Wyandotte, a Ca white, two Ameraucaunas and two production reds. It has been so fun watching them develop and grow from day old chicks. I am starting to get antsy for these chickens to start laying. I guess at least four more weeks but maybe as many as twelve more for some. Welcome

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from Modesto

Glad you found the forum.

You were smarter than me when I got back into chickens. I accidentally bought a few and 2 guineas one day. Then a blabber mouth grand daughter ratted me out to my husband. Poor guy was still building coops and pens to the end and I was always bringing more home. Now I feel like I've gotten a little more control. I hatch them so it doesn't count. LOL

I think sometimes the real question is "What comes first? The chickens or the coop?"

Please come and join us on the California thread too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/565482/california-the-whole-state-thread/0_20

Thanks all who responded for the warm welcome. And thanks for the tip about the CA thread!

Back
Top Bottom