New to chickens, is my rooster acting normally?

pattyh

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Harsens Island
We have 10 chickens, 6 Rhode Island Reds and 4 Buff's. One of the Red's turned out to be a rooster. He comes down out of the roost every morning and crows, but the hens never seem to come down anymore (We have had them since February, got them as chicks). We leave for work at 7 and come home around 5. At 7 they aren't down out of the roost nor at 5. We seem to have to push them out and I'm getting worried that they may not be eating or getting water. The rooster seems to be the only one down all the time and constantly crowing, like he wants them to join him, but they won't. We have discussed "taking care of him", but we would like to keep him around to fertilize eggs. Not sure what to do, or if this is normal.

How long have they been in their roost? Maybe they just like it there? I would wait for a weekend when you guys are home and watch them. I don't think they would last very long without food or water though...

Check the poop level under the roost. If they are pooping, they are eating. Do they free range or are they in a coop? Maybe they are early to bedders(?)

It may be that the hens aren't coming down because when they do, the rooster constantly bothers them (he is a hormonal teenager after all
roll.png
). The rooster will probably calm down, but it may take him a while. In the meantime, is there any way you can pen the rooster up separately for a bit to see if the hens come out if he's not there. I have a feeling that they're all staying away from the rooster to avoid his unwanted attentions.
tongue.png

I have noticed it for the past week or so. We were on vacation for a week 2 weeks ago and before we left they were fine. I will keep an eye on them this weekend. Last night we actually had to shoo them out of the roost to the bottom run area so that I knew they had a chance to get some food and water. I am a worrier, my boyfriend on the other hand says they're fine. I just want to make sure that they are getting plenty of food and water and exercise. I want to keep the rooster, but I don't want my hens to be afraid of him.

We really have no way of penning him up separately. I would like to though. If there is a chance that he will calm down then I will bury my "I wanna have you for dinner" feelings each time I hear my poor hens "screaming."
lol.png
They are all about 19-20 weeks old. We would like to keep him around to fertilize eggs, but not at the risk of the girls being afraid of him. We have a portable chicken coop and the only time they are out is when we are able to supervise them. Our neighbor has hunting dogs, the island we live on has coyotes and we have bald eagles and hawks flying around, not a good situation to let them free range.

Quote:
The rooster probably will calm down in time after his hormones cool off. Right now, he's basically in chicken puberty, and it may take him a couple more months to settle down.

If the girls haven't started laying yet, they aren't particularly interested in his antics. Once they lay, they usually let him have is way, shake it off and continue eating, pecking, etc. When we let ours out of the coop, there is always the mornings at the rooster races. The guys chase the girls for the first 15 minutes or so until they catch a couple or get tired. Poor silkies get tired more often than not. Try a dog crate to confine the boy in the evenings after work.

Back
Top Bottom