New to chickens is this hen sick?

SLKchickens

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2015
Wisconsin
This is our first flock of hens. We have 8 (2 Silver Laced Wyndotte, 2 Black Star, 2 Americana and 2 White Rock) that are about 12 weeks old now. We have a poop board under the girls perch at night. I scrap it every morning. Yesterday I noticed what looked like blood on top of normal poop glob. It was just under one hen's spot. I thought it might be intestinal lining, but I found more again today. It's near the same spot on the board but not exactly. I think they line up to sleep about the same every night. Do I have a sick hen or is this "normal" poop. Nice graphic picture. I didn't think to take a picture until I had already put in the poop compost, but that is what it looked like on the board too. Normal poop covered in what looked like blood. Thank you for responding. I'm worried about the girls!!!
!

Welcome to BYC. No, that is blood in the droppings, and could be coccidiosis. They are at the age where they are bbeing exposed to coccidia in the soil and hopefully developing resistance to it, but I would go ahead and treat them with Corid (amprollium, ampromed) a cattle medicine from feed stores. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Afterward, probiotics and vitamins in the water would help to restore gut bacteria. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, poor appetite, hunched appearance, diarrhea or blood in stools, and ruffled feathers. Here is a link about cocci to read:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/coccidiosis/index.aspx

Last edited:
Thank you Eggcessive. I've been lurking since we started considering chickens. I'm so glad we have a droppings board. I am not sure which hen it is....I'm assuming they line up about the same each night because of pecking order. None of the chickens were acting sick to me, but the whole flock seems to be "napping" and grouping together more than usual. I did notice one of the Wyandottes was fluffing up her feathers a lot. Maybe it was her. If I treat the whole flock, do I still need to find which one it is and isolate her?

I did add some ACV to the water this morning, so maybe that will help until I can get some Corid tomorrow. I'm so sad to have a sick hen.

No, you don't need to isolate anyone. they all have been exposed, and all should be treated at the same time. Just keep bedding as clean as possible, and dry with clean shavings. Stop the ACV since it can be a bit irritating to the intestinal mucosa while they are sick. If anything tonight, give them a bit of buttermilk, cream, or milk to coat the intestines.

Back
Top Bottom