New to chickens/love hatching!

trinity1412

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
Magnolia, Texas
Hello, Everyone! My name is Christy. I am new to chickens! We hatched our first eggs during COVID. It is no surprise, that a homeschool science project has now led us into building a coop and keeping some of the cute fluffy butts we hatched! (We are not new to homeschooling.) :)

Right now, we currently have four 5-week old bantam chicks. (2 cochin/silkie mixes, one mystery, and one blue silkie) All backyard mixes I am sure. Since we really wanted some pure silkies, we ordered some more eggs online and now have three 1-day old silkie chicks. (Shipped eggs with funky air cells. We started with seven. Two got crushed. (I bumped the incubator when candling-might have cried) One quit around day 10-12. One didn't hatch.
Note: The one with the worst saddle air cell was the first one to hatch, so don't toss those!)

Why chickens? Umm...They're cute?! We can't wait to get fresh eggs!

I am a full-time mom and homeschool teacher. I work part-time as a personal stylist. One of my lifetime obsessions has been books-all different kinds of books. Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. I occasionally dabble in content editing as well as writing. I LOVE to read! My hubby both loves and hates how much I extensivly research anything and everything. (I may not be allowed to watch or participate with any home projects because he knows I have probably already read and watched every You Tube video available for his project. *shrugs* Meanwhile, he tosses the instructions and wings it.lol)

We are a large family with four kids, four dogs, two cats, six chinchillas, a saltwater fish tank, and now... chickens!
I think I found BYC during one of my internet searches. I have read so many helpful posts and articles on here.
This site is amazing!
Thank you for all of the incredibly helpful info!

Attachments

• 9BD63F00-D2B4-4602-A535-F8FAA5254E7C.jpeg
    9BD63F00-D2B4-4602-A535-F8FAA5254E7C.jpeg
    717.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9190.jpeg
    IMG_9190.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC Christy, thank you for joining the flock. Love your photos, is that a little gray silkie I spy in the first photo? Don't see as well as I used.
Yes! It is a grey/blue silkie. We named him, "Hey. Hey" like from Moana. (Not to be mean, but he doesn't seem to be the brightest chick in the coop. He acts JUST like that chicken! lol
And, thank you! I am excited to be here.

Back
Top Bottom