New to chickens! Loving it!

HerbsAndSpice

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2017
Kennebunk, Maine
Hello new friends!

I am a brand new chicken mama! I grew up in Vermont with parents who raised/grew much of our food (extensive veggie gardens, beef, pork, bees) and I've wanted to provide some of that experience for my own children.

We live in southern Maine. So, in addition to our veggie gardens, we recently acquired four chicks! (I am hoping to get a few more birds to add to the flock.) We have a "barnyard mix" -- the farmer told me that we possibly have a Barred Plymouth Rock, Black Star, Buff Orpington, and an Easter Egger. I think the two reddish gals actually look like they could be New Hampshire Reds, I agree that we have a Black Star, and I'm very confused about our grey bird. I'll post some pictures. Our flock is currently five weeks old (6/15/17). The flock is in the process of moving outdoors. I've just installed a heating pad in their coop.

I also have two sons (ages 3 and 2), a husband who is unsure about the whole chicken thing, and a large mixed breed dog.

Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Please do keep an eye on your dog and any cats if you have them. They love to play with chicks which is fun for them but, not for the chicks who end up dead. You never hear of a chick/chicken killing a cat or dog.

Back
Top Bottom