NEW TO CHICKENS, making pre-order from local breeder HELP / SUGGESTIONS NARROWING DOWN from the few

DandDdad

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Hello I am new to chickens, I am single work/stay at home dad of twin 3yr olds who is looking to provide fresh eggs for family and friends.

currently have 2 welsummers and 1 buff orphington (2 weeks)

I am getting NEW chicks to complete my flock FIRST WEEK OF OCTOBER (same local breeder I got my other chicks from)

I HAVE NARROWED MY CHOICES TO THE BREEDS LISTED BELOW. after lots of research from a novice. lol
(im looking to get 6 more birds, is it bad to get only one of a breed in a flock)

buckeye
mottled java
speckled sussex
black giant
ameraucana
RIR
barred OR partridge rock

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL IMPUT

CALEB

Hello I am new to chickens, I am single work/stay at home dad of twin 3yr olds who is looking to provide fresh eggs for family and friends.

currently have 2 welsummers and 1 buff orphington (2 weeks)

I am getting NEW chicks to complete my flock FIRST WEEK OF OCTOBER (same local breeder I got my other chicks from)

I HAVE NARROWED MY CHOICES TO THE BREEDS LISTED BELOW. after lots of research from a novice. lol
(im looking to get 6 more birds, is it bad to get only one of a breed in a flock)

buckeye
mottled java
speckled sussex
black giant
ameraucana
RIR
barred OR partridge rock

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL IMPUT

CALEB

First be sure you are in compliance with any local ordnances relating to chickens. Some cities limit the number of chickens you can own and/or ban roosters within city limits.

As far as what breeds you should get, it depends on a person's objectives. From the above description it seems like you want eggs in addition to providing your children with hands on education. I don't see any breed that strikes me as bad choice. It's totally up to your personal preference.

Of the above list i've owned barred rocks, RIR's, partridge rocks, and easter eggers. The only ones i didn't like were partridge rocks. They were unfriendly towards me, but i only owned a few so that may have been a fluke.

Back
Top Bottom