new to chickens. Need any advice

I am still pretty new myself (about a year now). I wish I would have know about BYC before I began. You have received a bunch of great input from a bunch of great peeps from "build bigger that you presently think you need" to the picture that show the roost with poop box below it. I have expanded 4 times and probably will again. I don't really post much but I read a lot on here and it's all very helpful and everyone is very nice. I have 40 chcikens (6 different breeds) and they great. They're fun, OMG Funny!, and cheaper that theropy! Good luck with your chickens and keep me / us posted. Oh and your non chicken owning friend will think your nuts......
D.gif

David
DaChichen Man

Quote:
i agree i wanted just six and a rooster but then i wanted more and the person that rents my uncles feild has to have a say in it because he renting it and he sed 8 at the most but i have 12
wink.png

I have 3 BR & 6 BO, their roost is 4 ft high (2 ft wide & 6 ft long), I have a 3 tiered (2 in x 2 in x 28 in long) roost I made, but they use it as a ladder to get up to the shelf.

My BR were the first to lay, just before 18 weeks, 2 of my BO's started laying almost 2 weeks ago at 24 weeks.

I have 14 hens & 1 roo, all I do is wait to see who my roo is doing the dance with, and wait to see when she will start laying.
pop.gif

I have a mixed flock as well...my California White, although small, has given me 33 eggs in 35 days...almost one a day!
My BR girls are the first to say hello and follow me all over the place! They give me large brown eggs.
My Production Red and one of my BSL allows me to carry them around like a cat...
My BA are GORGEOUS big birds, and give me very light brown eggs.
All started laying around 18 weeks...

I have 3 EE pullets at 20 weeks, still waiting....

Back
Top Bottom