1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens, need hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sengge, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Sengge

Sengge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hi all

I live in silver spring MD and building my coup. Very excited but prices of hardware cloth is putting me off. Can anyone donate some to finish my project. I need 4* 40 feet long

Thank you

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    what are you using it for? Maybe there is an alternative to hardware cloth...

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Look into 1x2 welded wire...much cheaper. If you need it for the top of the run, look into 2x4 welded wire. While many will tell you that you must have hardware cloth, it is not necessary. 1x2 welded wire for the bottom few feet and 2x4 welded wire the rest of the way up and for the roof is very adequate.

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -would definitely recommend hardware cloth for the coop, but there are a number of options for the run. I agree that hardware cloth is not necessary for the run (depending upon predators). We have hardware cloth on the coop windows and chicken wire for the run. The only predators we have during the day are hawks. Welded wire for a run is great. Chicken wire for a run is great (again, depending upon predators).

5. Sengge

Sengge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thank you friends, you guys are so helpful. I will look into welded wire. I will be using it for top part of the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by