New To Chickens.. Need Help Please!!

Quote:
Outside playtime depends on your weather. I LOVE summer babies, because they can go out for a little playtime at just a few days old. Last year I ordered two rounds of chicks, late Feb. and early mid August. The winter babies didn't get to enjoy outdoor playtime until they were almost 4 weeks old - it was just too cold in my area. But my Aug. babies got to enjoy the outdoors (for short periods of time) when they were just days old. I got my original flock in the month of Sept. So they also were able to enjoy a bit of outdoor time early on.

You can have them living in the coop from day one if you want, as long as you can safely rig a heat lamp out there. I've always brooded in the house (mostly for easy access/bonding, since mine are pets) until about three weeks, then out to the coop (with a heat lamp). If you want to avoid using a heat lamp in your coop, then depending on bantam or LF, and depending on temps in your area, around 5-8 weeks, when fully feathered out/able to deal with weather.

Back
Top Bottom