New to chickens, Oregon

Ericw83

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2022
Hello,

My wife I bought a house last summer and it had a preexisting coop, it looks to be in good shape. The previous owner said it was good for 3 chickens.

We have thought about it and wanted to get some chicks for us and the kids but unsure what's best breed for our area. We live in the Willamette Valley near Salem, or

Hello and welcome to BYC.

I also live in the mid-Willamette Valley and currently have eight hens.

Because we don't get extreme heat or cold here you can go with any breed you want, it just depends on your primary purpose in keeping chickens. If you want good egg layers then Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, or any of the commercial egg layers (Novogen, Golden Bovan, ISA Brown, etc.) will work. If you want blue or green eggs then get Easter Eggers or ColorPack Layers. If you want yard decorations there are a lot of really attractive breeds (more than I can list).

Because we do get a lot of rain here I wouldn't recommend Silkies (silkie feathers don't repell water like regular feathers) or anything with feathered feet which tend to collect mud. That's just a personal opinion though. I see a lot of local Craigslist adds for Silkies and feather legged breeds (Cochins, Brahmas) so others in this area do keep them.

Back
Top Bottom