New to chickens -- will they walk up a ramp to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SJensen, Nov 29, 2009.

1. SJensen

SJensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    South Surrey
    Hello, I've put nesting boxes in the henhouse for my 18 week old pullets. I'm wondering if my chickens will go through the trouble of walking up a ramp to go in and lay eggs. Currently they roam our backyard from 9am to 4pm and go into the run occasionally for feed or to get out of the rain. They only go up the ramp into the henhouse when it starts to get dark, then I lock their coop door. Does anyone let their chickens out all day and still get them to lay eggs in a nesting box?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mine return to the coop to lay. I only find 1-2 eggs a year outside the nests.

Imp

3. SJensen

SJensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    South Surrey
    Good to know -- thanks!

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    When I used to free range my chickens (predators put an end to that), they always returned to the coop to lay their eggs. I put golf balls in the nests so they would get the idea. [​IMG]

5. cackilacky

cackilacky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Mine also free range most days and they do go up a ramp and into the hen house to lay. I did put a golf ball in one of the nest boxes to start them off. They seem to have their favorite nests. I do occasionally find an egg in the run, but I haven't found one in the yard (yet!)

6. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    NEVER underestimate what a woman....er....hen will do.

Put a mountain in the way, you'll still get eggs in the nest. Or where ever or whatever fluffs their butt.
    [​IMG]

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    they sure will- mine do and have a favorite nest box, so its a communal thing- they will stand in line to use the favorite nest..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by