New to chickens/ would like advice on selecting breeds

coverchicken

Chirping
Mar 3, 2018
Hello Everyone,
I live on a small farm and would like to free range some hens to collect eggs. I would also like to get a rooster as well in order to obtain some fertilize eggs to hatch. I'm unsure of what breeds to get. I like the Silkies, Brahmas, Wyandottes, really I'm all over the map when it comes to chickens. :) which why I'm reaching out for some advice. I also want to acquire a couple of guinea fowl as well. Can someone offer me advice on how to get started? Any help would be great.
Thanks

Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

It's so dependent on what you want. The Silkies and Brahmas will go broody (sit on eggs to hatch them). The Wyandottes, not so much. So if you want chickens that hatch your own eggs...

But when they go broody, they stop laying. So if you want a consistent supply of eggs (or if you're going to hatch your own in an incubator), of the ones you mentioned, the Wyandottes are going to be the best.

Given the ones you mentioned, it sounds like appearance might be important to you. I've enjoyed Wyandottes when we've had them (and they're very pretty), but they haven't been the friendliest birds (at least not the ones I've had). That doesn't mean they're mean. They've just been kind of standoffish compared to some others.

But honestly, of the chickens that are readily available, I don't think there's a bad choice.

Hi, @coverchicken :frow
You have already taken some great steps, including coming on board BYC with us! :welcome
Since you want eggs, may I recommend getting layer breeds versus meat breeds, altbough they also lay eggs but fewer.
Tell a bit more ... how many are you wanting for instance, and what are your environmental situations as far as housing and protection from predators ...and what part of the world you're in, as that establishes certain variables you should consider in choosing varieties. And have you raised birds in the past?

Hi Bonnie,
I live in central Missouri. I'm in the process of building a coop for the chickens. I want them to free range during the day and I can lock them up at night. Right now, I want to start small, maybe 5-10 chickens and when I get more comfortable, I will increase the brood. I have hatched and raised 10 meat birds in the past, but I really don't want the meat just eggs. I will have a garden and I have lots of yard space and would like to have the chickens and guineas to keep away pests and snakes. I really the enjoyment out of the birds more than anything.

Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

It's so dependent on what you want. The Silkies and Brahmas will go broody (sit on eggs to hatch them). The Wyandottes, not so much. So if you want chickens that hatch your own eggs...

But when they go broody, they stop laying. So if you want a consistent supply of eggs (or if you're going to hatch your own in an incubator), of the ones you mentioned, the Wyandottes are going to be the best.

Given the ones you mentioned, it sounds like appearance might be important to you. I've enjoyed Wyandottes when we've had them (and they're very pretty), but they haven't been the friendliest birds (at least not the ones I've had). That doesn't mean they're mean. They've just been kind of standoffish compared to some others.

But honestly, of the chickens that are readily available, I don't think there's a bad choice.
Thanks for the advice, I like the appearance of the birds and want the enjoyment of watching them more so than anything. But I would also like to have eggs to eat and later hatch if I want to expand. I would like to have friendly birds, we have friends that come over with small children and wouldn't want the chickens chasing them!! haha

The silkies would probably be good for hatching the eggs. But they would end up dinner if they free range. Do you plan on raising chickens for eggs and also for meat? If so then I would say with go with the dual purpose breeds.
Thanks for your response! I really want chickens for eggs. I don't plan on eating them. I don't want to keep them cooped up, i want them to be able to roam around the yard and deter some pests!!

Bravo.gif
Good job for researching before getting chickens!

Use the resources and help here--you will do a great job

Thanks for your response! I really want chickens for eggs. I don't plan on eating them. I don't want to keep them cooped up, i want them to be able to roam around the yard and deter some pests!!
I think the dinner referred to was for local predators ...smaller chickens make easier targets for them. So... do you free range them in an area with wild animals roaming or flying about hunting?

Back
Top Bottom