1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New To Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Georgia Ginger, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Georgia Ginger

Georgia Ginger New Egg

Jan 2, 2016
    I am a new chicken lady. I had four chicks that turned out to be one hen and three roosters. Gave the three roosters away and today introduced a new hen to the hen I already had. The new hen (Buffy) is definitely the dominate hen. Agnes is the hen I already had. Tonight Agnes is sleeping on a roost a foot off the floor (outside in the run) and Buffy is roosting on a high roost about a foot from the ceiling (inside the henhouse). I am worried that Agnes is out in the cold. How long before they can live in peace together?

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Welcome! this is a great site full of helpful people. When you get a chance check out the learning center, it is full of good information.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It is going to take some time for them to get it worked out, they will probably even fight. If you can add a second source of food and water (this will cut down on the fighting). Unless you see blood, just let them fight it out. They are establishing a pecking order, that will take longer if you interfer. During the night, it would probably be smart to put Agnus into the coop. Buffy is roosting, and shouldnt fight that too much. This will ensure Agnus stays dry and protected.

3. Georgia Ginger

Georgia Ginger New Egg

Jan 2, 2016
    Thanks for the response. I went out after dark and moved Agnes back into the coop and she went back out to the run. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have to close her in the coop. Maybe you could give her a box for now, to call her own. Some place she can hide from meanie. You could also put "Integrating new birds," in the search box for info on preventing blood shed, etc.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by