New To Chickens

Georgia Ginger

Hatching
Jan 2, 2016
I am a new chicken lady. I had four chicks that turned out to be one hen and three roosters. Gave the three roosters away and today introduced a new hen to the hen I already had. The new hen (Buffy) is definitely the dominate hen. Agnes is the hen I already had. Tonight Agnes is sleeping on a roost a foot off the floor (outside in the run) and Buffy is roosting on a high roost about a foot from the ceiling (inside the henhouse). I am worried that Agnes is out in the cold. How long before they can live in peace together?

Welcome! this is a great site full of helpful people. When you get a chance check out the learning center, it is full of good information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
It is going to take some time for them to get it worked out, they will probably even fight. If you can add a second source of food and water (this will cut down on the fighting). Unless you see blood, just let them fight it out. They are establishing a pecking order, that will take longer if you interfer. During the night, it would probably be smart to put Agnus into the coop. Buffy is roosting, and shouldnt fight that too much. This will ensure Agnus stays dry and protected.

Thanks for the response. I went out after dark and moved Agnes back into the coop and she went back out to the run. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

You have to close her in the coop. Maybe you could give her a box for now, to call her own. Some place she can hide from meanie. You could also put "Integrating new birds," in the search box for info on preventing blood shed, etc.

Back
Top Bottom