New to chickens

cspfarm

Hatching
Jan 20, 2016
Hi I'm just starting to get chickens I never had them before a friend gave me two I don't even know what kind they are so if anyone out the has tips or any ideas please let me know and does anyone know what kind of chickens these are please tell me

welcome-byc.gif
Your hens are red sex links - a crossbred created for maximum egg production. Click on 'The Learning Center' at the top of the page, check out the forums and question away. Good luck with your birds. Be forewarned that keeping these birds can become very addictive.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I agree they are red sex links, I started out my chicken adventures with these and they were fabulous egg layers and quite friendly too.
The Learning centre is a great place with lots of great articles to help you on the way. I'm sure you are going to enjoy this new venture very much. Keeping them is great fun and very rewarding.
Wishing you the very best of luck in the future with your new girls.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hey all, I'm new to chickens as well. My husband and I are moving into a house where they already have a small/medium chicken coop/run in the backyard (in central NJ) and so we told them that we will keep the hens since I'm sure they'd want a good home for them and save the trouble of getting rid of or anything bad for them... I am a huge animal lover, veterinary technician, and volunteer for local pet rescue groups. I grew up around farms (mostly horses through because I used to ride competitively but never had to maintain the chickens lol). Now I have a baby girl who is 7 months old and have been a stay at home mom so I am very excited to get these chickens and get working at something new and teaching my daughter about raising and caring for animals. I need to do some self educating in good chicken care and maintenance and am up for the challenge! I'm sure I can learn a ton from you guys here.. :)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Yep, you have Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing red gene roosters (RIRs, NHs, or PRs) with silver gene hens (RIWs, SLWs, LSs, Delawares, or silver factor WPRs). Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching (males are whitish, females are reddish), but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hey everyone, I'm from central NJ and I am new to chickens as well. My husband and I had just bought a house and the previous owners have a small/medium size backyard chicken coop/run. Maybe around 10-15 chickens there now. We agreed to keep the hens so they don't have to get rid of them and I am a huge animal lover, local animal rescue volunteer and veterinary technician although currently I have been a stay at home mom to my 7 month old daughter. I'm very excited to start something new and exciting at home with my family. I've spent a lot of time around various larger animals since I was young owning and riding horses competitively so I don't have much expenerience maintaining chickens or other birds for that matter (aside from smaller pet birds at work in the vets office). We do not have the chickens yet, but we will once we move into the house in a month or so. I'm here to educate myself and learn as much as I can from you who have experience, I've found this website to be very informative so far! I plan to meet with the current owners to discuss how they do things as far as the chickens go, but I'd like to have some knowledge ahead of time so I can decide if I agree with their methods and how I would prefer to do things.. very excited to get started!

Hi and welcome to BYC - loads of info and really helpful peeps here, so make yourself at home and enjoy :D

All the best

Ct

Thank you! I keep reading through lots interesting articles, looking forward to getting my flock and getting to know my birds lol :)

Back
Top Bottom