New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Poultry Master1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Poultry Master1

Poultry Master1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    I'm new to chickens I've had many different types of pets in the past but never farm animals so this is new to me I have selected a breed I'm interested in and plan to order the chicks in a week I just want to make sure I have everything set up first. Which leads me to my question. My question is can I use rabbit bedding for the chick brooder. I have heard lots of people say no cedar chips because of the oils but I have seen no mention of using rabbit/guinea pig bedding with chicks.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of folks seem to use pine shavings. I have no idea what rabbit folks use, so cannot offer advice on that. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

3. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Hello
    @Poultry Master1 I am so happy you joined us and I would like to say... [​IMG]!
    Well your questions is very interesting. My answer is I see no issue in using rabbit bedding. When I had my pet rabbit my chickens used to go in there and visit my rabbit. My chicken who was a Copper Maran grew very close to my rabbit and they ended up living with each other in the rabbit cage. I made some additions and put a nesting area and my chicken and rabbit lived together! I wouldnt recommend that but my chickens lived just fine in there. Then my rabbit had cancer and when my rabbit died my chicken still lived in the coop. Eventually my chicken started starving so I introduced him to my pet bird and lets just say my chicken is still living in a bird cage with her. Also dont recommend it lol. My point is that using rabbit bedding is fine. I will also leave you some helpful links that you should check out here on BYC.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

I wish you the best of luck and I hope my story helped you!
    Justin [​IMG]

4. Poultry Master1

Poultry Master1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Thank for the links I was just concerned because I read chicks have very sensitive respiratory systems so when I went to put some the bedding in my brooder I realized I had no idea if you could even do that but thanks for the advice.

5. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Anytime I am happy I could help!
    Justin [​IMG]

6. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey poultry master, Welcome to BYC :D

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by