New To Chickens..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenChic2016, Feb 12, 2017.

1. ChickenChic2016

ChickenChic2016 New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    I have 3 Buff Orpingtons I bought them from the local 4H auction and they were 22 weeks in October. Anyway to make a long story short they have been laying wonderfully..3 light brown eggs a day..today there was one egg that was mostly white and had a "lump" on it..maybe a calcium deposit.Can someone tell me what might cause this..the only thing different I did was sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth..it was food grade..could this be the cause? Possibly she ingested some and the other two did not?
    Thank you for any help!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ChickenChic2016, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I doubt that the DE had any bearing on the calcium deposit on that egg - excess calcium deposits of that sort are not uncommon. Here is an interesting article that details anomalies in eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
    And, as a new member you might also like to take a tour of the Learning Center - it is loaded with great articles spanning the entire range of chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Finally, if you'd like to visit with local poultry folk, find your state thread in the following link and stop by and say howdy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes, enjoy those fresh eggs, and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

3. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    They are some of my eggs too, they are just extra calcium deposits

4. ChickenChic2016

ChickenChic2016 New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Thank you so much for sharing!! Sometimes it is overwhelming trying to find good articles on what I need. Thank you so much!!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ChickenChick2016 [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree .. calcium deposits.

As you have already received some good starting points from redsoxs, I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The article redsoxs gave you a link to on egg abnormalities is very useful for figuring out what's going on with eggs, hope you check it out.

Thanks for joining us!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by