new to chickens!!!

lillian5831

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
Chesapeake, Ohio
We bought 6 female chicks and a prefabbed coop. I have set the coop up and just waiting on our chicks to get big enough. Have been doing a lot of reading on our new members to our family. We have 1 rescued dog. 5 (4 inside) cats, all rescued. Have always wanted chickens for better health. I raise a garden for better food so why not raise my own eggs. We will be working the next week to the coop to make it stronger and keep out the predators that we have in our area. So any advice would most welcomed....we have raccoons, possums, groundhogs, mice and black snakes. Not a fan of snakes but I let him stay around to keep the mice away and other dangerous snakes. So thank you for letting me join your neck of the woods!!!

Greetings from Kansas, lillian538, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! BYC is a great place to learn the ropes of poultry keeping. Raccoons can be a deadly menace but snakes and opossums won't generally bother adult birds. I would also assume, however, you have coyotes as they seem to be everywhere. And don't forget avian predators as well. Another threat people sometimes forget is stray dogs. They will wipe you out in a hurry. So you are wise to fortify your coop - prefabs normally need it. The Learning Center offers lots of great articles on all things chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Good luck to you and best of luck in your poultry endeavors!
smile.png

G’Day from down under lillian5831
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links, I will just wish you all the best and also your flock when they arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom