New to Chickens :)

ahliajade

In the Brooder
May 3, 2017
Hi all, I'm brand new to having chickens, we've had our girls about a week and a half. I bought 5 pullets and they seem to be happy in their new home.
I built our run and coop myself. It's an old tin rainwater tank that we weren't using. We've laid it on it' side and chocked it with bricks, so it won't roll away lol. I've also made a door on the front as well as a nesting box access door at the back (with bolts on the doors). I'm pretty confident that they will be safe and secure at night, as I lock the doors once the sun is low and the girls have gone inside. The run has chicken wire fencing roughly 6ft high, with a bit of wire also laid across the ground on the outside, and buried to stop anything digging in (hopefully). However, I'm fairly certain that no foxes would be able to get into the coop even if they did make it into the run area.

Because I bought them as Pullets, is there anything I should do to make sure they are healthy? I was told they have been vaccinated and wormed.
I'm waiting for some DE to arrive in the mail, then I'll dust some in the coop and in their dust bath areas.
One of the hens is doing quite runny orange poops. Is this a concern?
I'm attempting to use the deep litter method in the coop, I'm fermenting their feed (which they seem to like) as well as feeding the kitchen scraps.

A couple of the chooks are braver than others and come fairly close, but I havent been able to hand feed, touch or pick them up yet. A couple of them still sometimes run away when I get close. I know it's still early days but can I expect to be able to pick them up in the near future? I'm not sure how much they would have been handled as baby chicks.

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for reading my novel haha
Ahlia

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Is there plenty of ventilation in the coop? Seems it would get scorching hot in a tin tank. Maybe I'm picturing something totally different.
I had considered this -
As for ventilation, theres a small window on the front at the top that I've covered with wire, the front door stays open all day and the rear door by the nesting boxes can be left open as well. I had considered making a screen door for the summer, to secure the coop but allow more air flow. It's late autumn now :)
Theres a lot of shade from surrounding trees, but we may put a shade cover up in summer, we'll see how it goes.

Was wondering the same.......would love to see pics of this coop.

@ahliajade ... Also wondering, how old are birds and where are you located?

The man I bought them from just told me they are Pullets, and had just started laying (however I haven't had any eggs yet)
We are near Bunbury in SW Western Australia :)

I'm interested to hear what you think, It's our first attempt at a coop, it may not be perfect, but I'm happy to make any adjustments that are needed.
The gate and door will have a couple of coats of paint, and I also will be adding a 'verandah' over both the doors to help keep a bit of rain off the doors.

Attachments

• 20170511_125036[1].jpg
    20170511_125036[1].jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 8
Interesting....your pic confirms one of my assumptions, floor space is weird, hard to walk in there?

That's not much ventilation......not sure what you winter temp ranges are, but I'll bet in summer that's gonna be an oven.

Being a tin coop like that I'd suggest cutting a hole in the top (preferably away from their roosts) and install a type of exaust fan to draw out the hot air. You could box it in with hc cloth.

Interesting....your pic confirms one of my assumptions, floor space is weird, hard to walk in there?

That's not much ventilation......not sure what you winter temp ranges are, but I'll bet in summer that's gonna be an oven.

They don't seem to have any trouble walking inside, theres quite a thick layer of hemp bedding in the bottom. Plenty of roost space too.
I'll get my husband to help me add some more ventilation, I'm not game to use the angle grinder on my own :)

Being a tin coop like that I'd suggest cutting a hole in the top (preferably away from their roosts) and install a type of exaust fan to draw out the hot air. You could box it in with hc cloth.

Great idea, i'll look into that for the summer. Might also be able to line the inside with some of that silver insulation that comes in rolls.
:D

They don't seem to have any trouble walking inside, theres quite a thick layer of hemp bedding in the bottom. Plenty of roost space too.
Was thinking more about humans walking in there.
What is the diameter of the tank?
Got a pic of the inside?

Back
Top Bottom