New to Chickens

Pumphrey

Songster
Sep 27, 2019
Thanks for adding me! I have a 2-stall pipe corral that I am thinking of converting to a chicken coop. It has a full metal roof and wood along the bottom 3 pipes. Both stalls together are 24 x 12. I think one 12 x 12 would probable work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could do this? Or if someone could recommend a good plan for building a coop from scratch I would appreciate it. I am only allowed 6 chickens where I live in Orange County. Also, I am interested in getting really healthy chicks. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good breeder in Orange County, CA?

Welcome to BYC! A picture is worth a thousand words. It will be easier for us to help if we can see your current setup. Glad you’re planning ahead and getting the coop before the chicks.

:welcome
I've had a lot of success with mail-order chicks. They've actually been as hardy/healthy, if not more so, than most of the ones we've purchased from local sources.
Thank you. Is there a particular one you have used? Trying to avoid salmonella from over crouding.

Hello, and welcome to BYC. Predator control should be at the top of your list. A combination of hardware cloth and hot wire helps protect.

Whether you decide to go the mail order route or not, it might not be a bad idea to mail in for a catalog. They have basic information on the breeds they offer, you can get an idea what the different breeds will cost, and it's fun to look at pictures of chickens :D

Welcome to BYC! A picture is worth a thousand words. It will be easier for us to help if we can see your current setup. Glad you’re planning ahead and getting the coop before the chicks.
Love your cat. I will take a photo and have my daughter upload it for me. I am clueless about these things.
My family has used Meyer Hatchery, and we've been pretty pleased. I'm sure they aren't perfect, and others might have had a different experience, but we had no genetics issues and the chicks generally arrived healthy.
thank you for the recommendation

Back
Top Bottom