New to chickens

Graidyn

Chirping
Feb 23, 2020
Upstate NY
Hello everyone and thanks for having me :D I figure it will be easier if I use the template so....

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, I am new to chickens. So new, in fact, I don't have any yet. We will hopefully be ordering our new chicks before April, if all goes well with the coop.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 0

(3) What breeds do you have? None yet, but I'm fairly set on Orpington with maybe an Easter Egger or two (because my daughter is just in love with them).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I'm looking forward to the eggs of course, but I have always loved chickens. My grandmother had a farm when I was a kid and I have always loved them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Writing, knitting, crocheting, quilting, painting, baking, cooking, word finds, just about anything and everything.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Hubby and I will both be turning 40 this year, and we have two children. Our son is in college for Mechanical Engineering (but still lives here) and will be 19 in April and our daughter is a 15 year old animal lover and track star. We have two dogs - a 4 year old 150 lb Leonberger female named Ginger and a 8-11 (she was a severely mistreated rescue so we can't be certain) year old (significantly) smaller ( approx 50 lbs) aussie-x female named Pooh Bear. We affectionately refer to them as "Brown Cow" and "Little Dog" respectively. My husband is a foreman for a fencing company and I am a disabled stay at home mom since 2008. Before that I was Vet assistant and dog trainer. I am very much looking forward to being able to fill my days a little more. Now that the kids are older I find myself with a LOT of time on my hands and I'm looking forward to hanging out with my chickens.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I just recently learned of BYC in an online search. I very much like to learn as much as possible about things before I just jump in. I like to be prepared (or at least as much as I can be).

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Good breed choices!! I am a huge fan of Orps and Black Australorps. Very hardy birds. EE's are wonderful birds too.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions along the way, be sure and ask. Welcome aboard! :)

FARMER-CONNIE-BYC-WEL-.02.gif

It is very nice to see you learning about raising chickens before getting them!

Back
Top Bottom