New to Chickens

Sue T

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
Hello all!

My husband finally said ok to chickens! The coop was a family project - my sons and husband built it, my daughter and her fiance helped paint. Our 7 girls moved in 3 days ago and seem to be adjusting. They are 11 weeks old, so we will start to free range in the near future. They won't be laying for a while yet, but when should I introduce layer feed? Or is a general feed better? What does everyone have in their first aid kit? I have the basics, feed, grit, water, pine shavings and they get treats - love watermelon rind! Anything else I should have handy?

Thank you!!

Hello all!

My husband finally said ok to chickens! The coop was a family project - my sons and husband built it, my daughter and her fiance helped paint. Our 7 girls moved in 3 days ago and seem to be adjusting. They are 11 weeks old, so we will start to free range in the near future. They won't be laying for a while yet, but when should I introduce layer feed? Or is a general feed better? What does everyone have in their first aid kit? I have the basics, feed, grit, water, pine shavings and they get treats - love watermelon rind! Anything else I should have handy?

Thank you!!
Introduce layers feed at 16 weeks if you have females only. If you have males and females (or if you just want to do it this way) then you could start feeding you chickens all flock now and offer crushed oyster shells in a separate feeder once they are 16 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom