New to Chickens

Khathaway09

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2020
Columbus, Indiana
Hi! I started my first flock of chicks and keets in June of 2020. I started with 12 chicks and 6 keets. I lost 1 chick a few days after we got them and have recently lost 1 hen and 1 guinea to a hawk. I thought the guineas would protect and alert my flock from the hawk but that didn't happen so I just bought a rooster. He was born in May so he's about a month older than my hens and guineas. He is the sweetest thing ever but that means my guineas and hens pick on him. Does anyone have any advice? I feel like maybe my rooster is still young and thats why he isn't standing up for himself. Any advice would be helpful.

Hei 20

Crowing
Oct 8, 2020
Hi! I started my first flock of chicks and keets in June of 2020. I started with 12 chicks and 6 keets. I lost 1 chick a few days after we got them and have recently lost 1 hen and 1 guinea to a hawk. I thought the guineas would protect and alert my flock from the hawk but that didn't happen so I just bought a rooster. He was born in May so he's about a month older than my hens and guineas. He is the sweetest thing ever but that means my guineas and hens pick on him. Does anyone have any advice? I feel like maybe my rooster is still young and thats why he isn't standing up for himself. Any advice would be helpful.
members.jpg

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You don't yet have a rooster. You have a cockerel.
He needs to integrate into the flock and earn the respect of the girls before he can assert himself.
Had he ever tid-bitted or predator alerted in his first home? Not all cockerels/roosters are good at these things. And he will not really be able to protect the flock from anything. He just tries to keep a look out and give a warning call to give the flock a chance to get to cover. If you've had losses to a hawk, you need to lock your birds up in a secure run for a few days until the hawk moves on.

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
Hello, and welcome to BYC. A new bird in any flock is picked on - Guinea fowl can be especially bad. The 'protection' aspect of most roosters is limited to a warning and a quick run for cover. The only roosters that I have known to fight a raptor are game fowl.

Top Bottom