New to chickens

Jan 24, 2021
Upstate NY, USA
I just got my first flock of chicks from TSC on Jan 22, 2021. I have a friend that's been raising chickens for 10 years. I think my plans are grander than what I can do my first year, but I can work on it. I don't know the breeds because I purchased a straight run of assortment of brown eggs layers. So it's going to be a surprise. I am in the process of planning their coop. The 2 smallest ones have passed. They weren't eating and drinking like the rest. They got weak and I tried nursing them back, but in less than 48 hours they both passed. The other 8 are happy, healthy, and playing. I will focus on them.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Here are some helpful links:

• Great go-to resource - Articles
  • Space requirements
  • Find other BYC members nearby using the links in my signature, below (turn your phone to landscape to see them).
Best wishes

Pork Pie

My grand plan is to build a 24' X 12' coop divided into 4 sections. 3 sections will be coops for 3 flocks, separation, integration, raising meat chicks, etc. Each coop area will be 8X8 for about 12-15 chickens. The 4' X24' will be for individual doors for my access to clean and get eggs, storage, and tools. I then want to build a 4' awning over the front of whole coop. This would give each coop a 8X4 covered area to protect from rain and snow. The rest of the run will have mesh or hardware cloth over the 15X 24 area. I have to have the mesh or hardware cloth due to hawks and owls in the area. I also want to run gutters along the front and at 3 spots have downspouts to rain barrels with water nipples on them for waterers. I also plan on taking old plastic dog house apart and putting on end to make nesting boxes. Most things that will be used are pallets and other things I have around. Anymore suggestions? Want to use sand in coop, but not sure what kind or where to get it.

Back
Top Bottom