New to Chickens

Pjo

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2022
Just bought our 22 ac mini farm in north-eastern central AL. About to place our 1st order with ‘Mypetchicken.com’ for 8 colored layers & 2 white chinese geese for a mid-May arrival &hoping to order guinea chickens to arrive about the same time- Already have a very secure pen that needs some cleaning. Hope to free range during the day.

Any advice for a new-be is welcomed!

Starting out is so exciting -- and a bit frightening! There's so much to do. I'm sure chicken-keeping in Alabama's climate offers different challenges than I face here in Iowa (where Mother Nature dropped more than 7 inches of snow this week. I spent the beginning of Saturday shoveling paths to coops and all day making sure water wasn't frozen).

However, basics are the same. Know your most likely local predators and don't trust chicken wire to keep anybody safe. Free-ranging during the day with supervision is great BUT at night, assume everyone wants to eat your chickens so the birds need to be securely inside somewhere.

Make sure there's plenty of ventilation and plenty of space for all the birds. It's crucial to have clean, fresh water at all times, regardless of weather.

Despite your best efforts, bad things will happen -- birds will fight, they will get sick, a predator will slip by your best security. But, good things will happen, too -- you'll be thrilled by first eggs and delighted to learn that birds have a range of incredible personalities and are endlessly entertaining.

Welcome to BYC, and best wishes for your future flocks!

1642333784702.png

Back
Top Bottom