New to chickens

Welcome to BYC. What happened to your rooster?
Thank you. I heard that he was injured as a juvenile and his leg got infected from a deep cut. His entire lower foot fell off and he uses his stump and healthy leg to get around. He's a great rooster and I don't want him to have any more health problems so I came here for advice.

Recently got back into chickens and I guess I'm just finding my sea legs all over again. I had them for about six years previously but got rid of them to move. This is my first time having a disabled rooster and I just need help making him more comfortable.
Welcome. I have two disabled chickens, and am willing to help. How is he disabled? @janiedoe has disabled chickens also.

I need more information to help. Assuming from your intro that he is the only rooster?
He is the only rooster
A flock size of?
He has maybe 10 hens
How does the flock treat him?
They love him but they peck at his comb, it's scabbed but not really healing since they pick at it so much
What are his capabilities?
He can do anything but attack me. He gets around alright but I'm faster than him
Can he jump?
Yes, with some difficulty. He makes it up onto the roost every night but he can't jump to spur me or jump quick enough to reach safety if something chases him

Back
Top Bottom