New to Chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JRG, May 10, 2009.

1. JRG

JRG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    I have 5 nine-week old chickens that we just got in their coop. I live in a heavily Covenant controlled area where they actually have people who drive around looking for "non-compliant" residents. Needless to say, I have our coop hidden in the 5 foot side yard between my house and our privacy fence. Since my hens don't get alot of direct sun, we have a light in the coop that turns on at dawn and off at dusk. Is that sufficient?

I do put them in a movable gate in the backyard occasionally to let them get some sun and eat grass, but I have to cover most of the enclosure with a sheet to hide them.

Our run starts under the hen house and extends 8 feet or so from the hen house. The entire run is wired with 1/2" wire, even the bottom, to keep out critters. Can I leave the hatch door open at night since they are protected or do I need to close the hatch (door at the bottom of the hen house that has a ramp down to the run) every night?

Last question. Do I need to have food and water available in the hen house during the night? If I can leave the hatch door open this is not an issue as they can go down below the hen house to get a drink or snack if needed.

Appreciate all answers! Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My hens stop eating as soon as they go to roost.

Glad you are keeping them 'stealth'!

Oh, and WELCOME [​IMG] to BYC from AZ.

3. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Cape Cod, MA! Don't you just love neighborhood covenants?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by