New to chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PamChandlerp, Mar 7, 2012.

1. PamChandlerp

PamChandlerp New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    I tried raising chickens a few years ago and it didn't go well because I was very mis informed. My daughter is now getting chickens for a 4 h project in 3 weeks. I have the brooder box and light and we are building the coop. My problem Is there is a lot of conflicting info on the Internet so here goes my questions... We are getting 16 black sex linked chicks out of those 6 will have to be shown in August. I need tips on how to get them used to being handled and friendly as we don't want to stress them. I also want to know the best brand of food rural king is having a sale on their starter grower and nutrena nature wise starter. We want the best. Also when to change from starter food and Is there anything about this breed we should know all I seem to find is how they get the breed. Lastly (for now) medicated or not that is the question. I will appreciate any and Ll helpful information to get us started. Thanks

2. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I have found that with my son, practicing handling them everyday will get them used to everything. I also have him take yummy treats out to the coop daily. They get SO excited to see him when he approaches. This has worked well for us.

3. just Handel them every day to get them to like you.Medicated or not to me I would go with medicated for the first for weeks and then if you whant to you can switch.And you can switch them to regular food at about a month and a half old.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by