new to chickens

5th lake chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
Not sure if I need to do anything. My 10 week old Buff orpington hen is not acting right tonight. She was not active and stands by herself with her eyes closed. Did not run with the other chickens at first this evening when I let them out of the pen.She did seem to come around as the evening went on but still is very quiet. This is my first experience with chickens. Advice please

The p00p this morning was a foamy green and white. she is eating strangely I raised the food for her because it seemed she would try to bend to eat but then would just scratch at the food with her feet. after I raised the food she did eat. I did not see her drink, tried to get her to drink thismorning - she did not . she still looks not right. from observation it seems like maybe her neck bothers her. Her crop does not feel full.

Well what you were describing about the food sounds like she was "scratching". They claw the ground to uproot some bugs or worms to eat. Sometimes they don't find anything interesting the first round but they still bend their head and scratch for more. You may want to ffed them chickgrit because if they don't have stones to grind their food it plugs them up.

Well I don't think she is going to make it. Picked up electrolyte mix on way home from work, but she was really not doing well unable to hold her head up. I tried giving her the mix with an eye dropper , but most of it end it up running out even with holding her head up. Then she did A LARGE GREEN WATERY POOP ALL OVER ME and becme really weak. I have her laying in a basket , but really do not see her making it. Boy that went really fast.

I got 3 new bantam chicks 1O Days ago- hope they did not bring something in. They seem fine and my other 2 orpingtons are ok.

Pretty bummed.

I'm sorry about your poor baby!
sad.png
Green, watery poop isn't a good sign. Weakness + not eating + bad poops = nearly guarenteed death. I wish I knew what was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom