new to chickens

yellowappy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 26, 2012
Hi!!! We are new to chickens... We have had a flock of 22 hens & 2 roosters for the last 5 months or so & all we were getting was 1 or 2 eggs a day, every once in a while 3... We added 6 RIR in the last 2 weeks & the first day we got 6 eggs, now we are back to 1 egg a day... is it time to turn on the light, or add something more to the laying mash & cracked corn? They can all roam about during the day & they all go happily back into the coop at night...they also chase the barn cats away from all the scraps...any & all advice is welcome & appreciated! ty in advance!!

welcome-byc.gif
from California! During this time of year egg production goes way down due to the shorter days/less daylight hours. You can get a lot of great info in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying good luck!

Hello & welcome to BYC. I turn the light on in the coop to help with egg production in the winter. The link that was posted above will have great info for you. Best of luck :)

frow.gif
Hey and welcome! You already have a head start, I didn't find this page until I's had my birds for several months! The things that I picked up here that seem to have really helped my birds out are (a) add a splash of apple cider vinegar to their water always! (b) feed them meat, scrambled eggs or cottage cheese in the fall/winter since there aren't as many bugs to supply protein. Good luck with your birds!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Corn is high in calories, but low in protein - too much leads to fat hens that don't lay as many eggs. Have you checked for hidden nests out in the area they run loose?

Back
Top Bottom