New to chickens!

nu2chickens2013

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Hello! We are new to chicken keeping and have 4 hens in Western Colorado. One each of Buff Orpington, New Hampshire Red, Rhode Island Red and Silver Laced Wynadotte.

We are finishing up our coop/run and are looking forward to getting fresh eggs! How old are they when they start laying? Our pullets are about 10 weeks old.

Thanks!

You have a little while to wait! Usually they would start laying between 6 and 8 months old. I have to say I have had all of those breeds except for the Silver Laced Wyandotte, and you have some excellent egg layers. I would expect almost an egg a day from your new Hampshire Red, and Rhode Island red, and for your Buff (my username is goldiethehen because of a Buff named Goldie!) I would expect almost an egg a day.
The first egg is always super exciting!
I wish you luck on this amazing journey!
Goldie

is ok for 6 week old chicks to eat oyster shells i have other chicks are 15 weeks that im feeding that to and babies are in coop with them im not sure babies are eating it but its disappearing fast

welcome-byc.gif
chicks do not need supplemental calcium (egg shell, oyster shell etc) it can be very damaging to them. Pullets at point of lay and hens DO.

Last edited:
you will have a few more weeks before that happens.
welcome-byc.gif
welcome to BYC!!! HAPPY TO HAVE YOU!! hope that you learn a lot and have fun. best wishes to you and your flock, chicklover1998
jumpy.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

Yes, you still have a way to go on the egg laying. But when they do start laying, it will be the most Egg-citing day ever! And you will never grow tired of collecting those eggs. I still love finding eggs in the nest boxes.

So glad you could join and enjoy BYC!

is ok for 6 week old chicks to eat oyster shells i have other chicks are 15 weeks that im feeding that to and babies are in coop with them im not sure babies are eating it but its disappearing fast
Drumstick Diva is correct. Do not let the young ones eat oyster shell. It will destroy their kidneys. Generally birds won't eat what is not good or right for them, but some birds are not that smart.

Drumstick Diva is correct. Do not let the young ones eat oyster shell. It will destroy their kidneys. Generally birds won't eat what is not good or right for them, but some birds are not that smart. 
thanx ive taken out the shells but how do i give it to my older girls when they start laying my 6 week olds are in same pen as older

Back
Top Bottom