NEW TO CHICKENS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NiftyChickie, Oct 2, 2013.

1. NiftyChickie

NiftyChickie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Hello,

I live in Florida and would like to start a flock of chickens. I have never owned chickens before but I am researching everything I need to know. I would like to know what kind of chicken breed would do well in the Florida heat, be a heavy egg layer and have a friendly temperament. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you!

2. birdsrfun

birdsrfun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    S.F Bay Area
    Well, I'm still a noob myself, but one of the friendliest breeds are Orpingtons. They are good layers, but they are big and cold hearty, so I'm not sure how they would do in the heat. Maybe others can chime in and have some more insight about this.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

But keep in mind that just because a certain breed of chicken is known or said to be very friendly and docile can be the exact opposite. Breed doesn't necessarily matter (though some breeds tend to flightier than others, but with constant handling they should warm up to you) I've had an Orpington and an Australorp even though all those website said that they were friendly, they were actually were one of the least friendliest chickens in the flock. My Red Star Sugar however was a sweetie, she would follow people around and come when called, she would also lay an egg almost every day.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  5. NiftyChickie

Oct 2, 2013
    Thank you everyone for all of your good advice! It's going to help me out a lot and I will definitely try the link. I'm glad I joined :)

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG] Welcome, Good luck with your new flock.

7. birdsrfun

Aug 22, 2013
    S.F Bay Area
    You nailed it on the head. For the friendliest birds, you should get them at a few days old, and handle them a lot. Several times a day, every day. This will help bond them to you, and this is true for any breed you get, although some will still be friendlier than others.

8. NiftyChickie

Oct 2, 2013
    Thank you very much everyone! :)

9. NiftyChickie

Oct 2, 2013
    Oh,

I do have a few more questions. How much feed does a chicken eat? (like 1/4 cup a day?) And do you feed them twice a day? Also...how many nesting boxes should a chicken coop have? Say you have eight chickens...do you need eight nesting boxes??

10. birdsrfun

Aug 22, 2013
    S.F Bay Area
    Chicks need food available at all times, and they are going to eat a lot. Get a feeder and keep it full. Same goes for adult chickens. Just don't overdo the treats, such as bread, rice, or fruits. Veggies are fine, although too much may cause loose stools, but nothing really to worry about.

Nesting boxes are typically one box per 4-6 hens. Depends on who you ask. Hens may share a nesting box as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by