New to Chickens

canadianchick86

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
I'm sooo happy I found BackYard Chickens! I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I spent most of last year thinking about chickens and coop designs and not getting much accomplished. As the new year is about to start, my chicken dream is also starting over. Any advice on starting out? I've never had a chicken before but want to make my new friends comfortable and happy when I get them- once I decide on the breed I'll get! On one hand, I want to have everything planned out so I only have to build once and not have to add things later as I learn more. But on the other hand, I want to jump in and get some chickens. I'm in Canada so I was concerned about winter...should I insulate the coop? or is a heat lamp enough? There's so much to learn, HELP!!

images
to BYC!

You might start here in the learning center of BYC....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And then move on to our coop section....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

And if you still have questions you can post a specific question in the Coop Construction section where people can help you with your questions....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

I'm sooo happy I found BackYard Chickens! I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I spent most of last year thinking about chickens and coop designs and not getting much accomplished. As the new year is about to start, my chicken dream is also starting over. Any advice on starting out? I've never had a chicken before but want to make my new friends comfortable and happy when I get them- once I decide on the breed I'll get! On one hand, I want to have everything planned out so I only have to build once and not have to add things later as I learn more. But on the other hand, I want to jump in and get some chickens. I'm in Canada so I was concerned about winter...should I insulate the coop? or is a heat lamp enough? There's so much to learn, HELP!!
welcome-byc.gif
You can't go too big, Chicken Math is different from regular math! So if you plan on 10 then build for 30 LOL! If you choose cold hardy breeds you probably won't have to worry about heat if you insulate well, many chicken owners don't heat at all (I don't and it can get to -10 here). It is really up to you, but if you start with heat they will probably become dependent on it. Good luck!!

Happy New Year and welcome to BYC

The coop size is up to you but it should also go along with the amount of chickens you plan on having but nothing ever goes according to plan ..... Insulation in the coop wow that could be good and bad as with anything if a small rodent gets in you might have a mess so you should think about what you are going to use but if you have something like ten chickens you really should not have much of a problem as they will keep each other warm and if a heat lamp puts off light the chickens wont get much sleep ...........

If you have a dog house around that would work for several months wile your chickens grow and this would force you to build a coop ,,,,,,,, Ya

gander007
old.gif

Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Good luck on your chicken adventure. Good advice above, the BYC Learning Center is a great place to start.

Welcome! Plan on how many chickens you want and triple it. There is no cure for chicken addiction! I have a basic coop (can hold 30 chickens) and do not heat. Currently I have 20 chickens in there and they are fine...the coldest it has gotten in the coop is 15. If you know of local chicken people...talk to them - ask what they do. Troll the forums here and see what other people do. It can get overwhelming, but when you begin your chicken adventure it will be easier than you thought.

Welcome to BYC. Search the forums, ask questions, plan, and you will be ready to start on your poultry 'adventure'.

Back
Top Bottom