New to chickens

Travis2013

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
I received some chickens from a friend of mine and made a coop and run and all the good stuff. Not sure what kind they are but I have one rooster and 5 hens and 2 hens are barred rock. Two of the hens lay everyday but the barred rock won't even get in the nest and I've had them about three weeks. Need help

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

It is not unusual for birds to quit laying when stressed, such as by moving; also some birds take a break from laying when the days are shorter. Do you know how old your birds are?

Welcome to BYC! We're glad to have you. If you just got the hens three weeks ago, they may still be stressed out a bit from the move, and therefore might not all be laying. If you're in the U.S., daylight hours aren't very long currently (hens need about 14 hours of light a day to lay well), so that may be why one hen isn't laying. How old are the hens? The one that isn't laying may not be old enough to lay yet.

Thank you. Not sure how old they are but the guy I got them from said they didn't produce that many when he had them. But the thing is they haven't even got in there nest all they do is stay in there run or go in coop to eat

Nit sure how old but the guy I got them from said they didn't produce much for him. And he just told me the two that are laying everyday are Rhode Island Red. They don't have a problem at all

If anything they are the one pecking and running the roost. The guy I got them from said he guessing 7 months old. I feed them laying pellets and some vegetables every once in a while. Thank y'all for all the info y'all have given me so far.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! It may just take time for the Barred Rock to start laying; some birds lay more and sooner than others.

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Good luck with your hens and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

Back
Top Bottom