New to Chickens!!

trying

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
So we bought my childhood farm. Horses, dogs, and cars have been a staple. I wanted chickens. So I did research, and now we have 8. 6 RIR and 2 amiericana chickens (all doing well). We then collected eggs for a friend who told us to fill the bucket with water, the ones that floated were bad......(she has had a very sick husband and did not fully explain this....) so long of the short we broke the first floater and killed a chic. It was horrible. So we ended up with 60+ eggs of unknown age in the incubator. I left and turned them all for a week. 2 hatched surprise!! Then we started candling disregarding ones with no sign of growth (and breaking them open to confirm they were empty before continuing). These eggs had been out anywhere from fresh to 3 weeks. Now I have 19 still cooking! They all have movement and about a week to go (Wed-Thurs). I have become a mother hen for sure! We lost power and i rushed the incubator to my parents who had power! I now have backup houses that can help. This has been a real project! This website has been great (and made me feel better).

Hello from Oregon!
welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like you are a prime example of Chicken Math!!
wee.gif
Good luck with your new fuzzy-butts, and post pics when you can!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you are well on your way to being a momma hen! Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted! I hope you get a good hatch. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! That was quite a hatch
experience so far. Fingers crossed the rest of the hatch will go well and produce a few more fluffy butts for you!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch, hope the rest is uneventful!

Great job
thumbsup.gif
I applaud your determination and resourcefulness - you are one classy chicken momma. I think you will be giving us lessons.

I do have a question. Can I put the new chicks in with the 2 week old two? I am thinking shear numbers will help the new ones if i leave them in the incubator until a few are hatched.

Wow thanks! I have really learned a lot from this group. While the first two were hatching(which was a painful process for me!) and while picking which eggs to trash! The great news is I did not have any stinky eggs....I still have a questionable one. It has an air pocket on the side too. I am guessing it has dried out but have a couple of days left. The blue eggs are much harder to see in.

Back
Top Bottom