New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by curious chickee, Mar 19, 2015.

1. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Just got my chicks. I started with 3 Ameracaunas (EE) pullets and got 7 free (5 BR and 2 mysteries) when I bought my chick starter. It looks like 4/5 BR are cockerels so I wanted more pullets. My EE are questionable, two look like they have a big comb at 2 weeks old (feed store said would refund if become cockerels). I picked up 3 two week old chicks from a neighbor. 2 guessing pullet (buff Wyandotte) one guessing cockerel (buff Cochin) but time will tell. Finally got 4 more today, 2 RIR pullets and 2 New Hampshire pullets. All chucks except neighbor cone from belt hatchery.

We built our chicken coop and are finishing the extended run 24' x 15'. With bushes and mature trees in the run. Any suggestions on how to help protect against predators with large run would be helpful. We have few predators mostly red tailed hawks, owls, and opposums.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. Pokerface

Pokerface Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2014
    Atoka, Ok
    Welcome to BYC.
    The one thing I can say for sure is make certain they are locked up at night. A very secure coop and if you have any window openings put hardware cloth over them. Don't just staple it on but nail/screw wood strips over the ends as well. As for during the day you may try bird netting to deter hawks. I have red tails as well and lost a grown bird (free range) to one. It couldn't carry it away and I didn't find it for a day. Such a waste.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock"!

Be sure that the run is made of a sturdy material like hardware cloth. Chicken wire, for example, is quite weak and easy for predators to break through. Put secure latches on the run doors. Either bury the run wire 1 foot deep, or create a "skirt" extending outwards 18 inches, to stop digging predators. If the run is open, hawks could be a problem. Make sure the chickens have something to run under if they see a hawk.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with the advice already given.

Good luck to you!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Mature trees in the run are an invitation for hawks, raccoons , owls etc. to jump down and pick out their dinner. You may want to visit the predator threads to learn more about the enemies and how to repel them. It can be a full time job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by