New to chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mphkim, Mar 29, 2015.

1. mphkim

mphkim New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Hello, I have been doing a lot of research on chickens. I never had birds as a pet and currently have two shelter cats. I have learned a lot and have decided to adopt three ISA Browns ex-battery caged hens in July. I am having a chicken tractor built for me from a guy in San Diego. Found Bird vet in my area and learning chickens come with expensive stuff! So what I was wondering as I noticed when I volunteered at a chicken adoption event recently they are pretty dirty. So how soon after can I give them a bath. Don't want to shock or traumatize them since they are already traumatized to begin with but don't want them starting their new life with dirty bottoms!

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] I'm not an expert on chicken baths, but this site has many wonderful articles about them.

Glad you joined! [​IMG]

3. saulsberry

saulsberry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello,
    My experience with chickens is minimal but My MIL gave us her flock when we moved to Hickory and we used to bathe the hens with baby shampoo when they got messy in the swamp free-ranging during the day, and were fighting off mites and over breeding spots on their backs from the roos.. I dont think its good for their feathers to bathe them too often, so you could do it immediately when you get them, if its absolutely necessary, then just let them be chickens and get dirty. Some dirt helps prevent fleas and mites from bothering them.
    Hope this helps
    Jen

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

Look up dust baths for chickens

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. You might put " Ex-Battery hens" in the search box - it should pop up with posts from others who have rescued them. They would probably mention how they cleaned them up, treated for worms/mites/ etc.

You are a very kind person to want to rescue some poor hens and give them the opportunity to live a real chicken life. I never knew they had chicken adoption events. What a great idea.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I can't say I have ever had to bath any of my chickens with water. I have read though that some that show their birds do. Here is an article on dust baths for chickens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/dust-baths-what-they-are-and-why-they-are-important

If they have dirty bottoms washing that area woukd be ok for them it will make them feel so much better. Here is an article on rescue hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/so-you-want-to-rescue-a-chicken-now-what

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

In my experience, washing isn't usually a very stressful occurence for the bird. In fact, some birds almost seem to like it. I would give the rescue hens a few days or rest and then think about bathing them.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Washing chickens is stressful, yes, but sometimes it just needs to happen. I would see what they can get off and how clean they can get with a dirt bath or two first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by