New to Chickens

Vausej18

Hatching
May 11, 2015
Hi everyone! I'm new to all this chicken stuff, I started with 5 Gold Sex Links, which I just moved the girls into their coop. I'm so worried they will get attacked out there. Four weeks later, I made the mistake of going to Ace Hardware and walked out with 3 Brahma's and 3 Easter Egger's. Now that I have them I'm so worried they won't get along. Is there a trick to merging them when the time is right? I'm also having a time getting the "big girls" to use the ramp I built to get into their coop. Any ideas there? I sprinkled food on there and they got half way and that was it.
Thanks!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Yes, you will need to mix them all together slowly. Here is a nice article from our learning center on mixing chickens together....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

I also like to add more food and watering stations after I mix the two groups. Sometimes the original flock can guard these areas off completely, starving them out.

Good luck with your flock and make yourself at home here!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

Good luck with your chickens! Hopefully, the introductions go well.

I will take a picture tonight and post tomorrow so you can let me know what you think.

Thanks for the idea. I bought an extra of each so when I merge them I will add additional ones. Thanks for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom