New to chicks...advice needed!

Birdnerd04

Chirping
Sep 17, 2017
Hello! We recently got 8 chicks from tractor supply to repopulate our adult flock. I'm just wondering when they will be old enough to be released into the free ranging flock of adult birds, including roosters and turkeys. Also, can we feed them insects we catch from outdoors, or will this make them sick? Thanks!

You need to brood them until they are fully feathered, 4 - 6 weeks old. If the chicks eat bugs they will need chick grit.

I just put a handfull of chick grit in with my chicks feed. I don't purposefully feed mine bugs but I know there are ladybugs around that they probably eat so I provide chick grit so they can digest them if they eat them.

My chicks go out to their separate coop area at about three weeks of age, with their brooder plate or heat lamp. It's separated from the flock with hardware cloth, so in full view, and everyone meets but isn't together for another few weeks. When the chicks are feathered out and no longer need supplemental heat, they start going outside with the big birds, and come back to their own area at night. It's gradual, and everyone gets along without injuries. The littles do get humbled by their betters, but nothing serious.
There are plenty of feeders and waterers, and places to be out of sight, also a big help.
Mary

Hi guys. I’ve been coming in here for a few years and have taken away a lot of information. I have had my babies for a few years now. I moved and had to give my flock to someone that didn’t live in the city. I have a baby girl that I insisted on getting back. Well, I ended up getting her back before I had planned. She is alone. She sleeps in a dog crate at night in the garage. She has bedding, food and water. I recently bought 4 chicks. I don’t like feeling like she is lonely when I can’t devote a lot of attention to her. The chicks are about 4 or 5 weeks now and I want to introduce them to her. I am worried that with her being alone and spoiled rotten, she might not like having to share. She seems exited when I show them to her. I don’t want her to peck one and kill it. I would be devastated.

Back
Top Bottom