new to chicks and have LOTS of questions!!!

I decided to start this thread for all my chick questions since my "ceder shavings?" thread was getting a bit off topic. here i'll post all my questions and pics of them growing up! so right now I have 11 Rhode Island Red chicks their 3 weeks at the moment and are so cute! TIME FOR QUESTIONS!!!
1. belive this or not we keep our house at 80F. because my family HATES the cold so what time should we turn the heat lamp off the chicks?

Usually in the daytime after they have feathered out.

2. at what age should we move the chicks into the coop? we live in TN.

We put ours in the coop once they have molted their adult feathers, around four to six months I think.

3. what are good treats for the chicks?

After two weeks, chick grit, meal worms, and teensy-tiny chopped fruit.

4. anybody have names for them? we have three named all ready Fly, Jazzmin, and Red ~ the rooster ~

Remember, if you did not get them from a hatchery, then your bob might become a bobette and vice versa because most local suppliers that are not breeders/professoinal hatcheries give you strait run. A random mix of guys and girls.

Some Chick names:

Roadrunner, woody, freddy, Joey, Henrietta, hennypenny, copper penny, ruffles, fudge, Resse, cocoa, hamburger, spot, red, google, eric, frenchfry, drumstick, barnie, peckers, fluffy, Chick-fil-a, Mc Donalds, louise, flippers, scratcher, moony, gunivire, rick, cooper, and Poyo.

5.does anyone know a cheap place to get quality chicken wire?

We got ours from home depot.
questions aside, what are you willing to cough up for the coop? Or are you going to build one? I built mine, but I am planning a new one on a grander scale, like a chicken mansion.....

i'm building. I want it to be an ok size and I've already started on it my cost about 100$ because I already have most of the stuff besides hardware cloth and chicken wire.

*UPDATES*
its official ... the chicks are moving out of the brooder soon. we're starting building the coop tomorrow. to tell the truth I think I'm actualy going to miss the little balls of feathers in their room. they have to leave the lil chick nest some time I suppose. my building plans will be up tomorrow with pics and everything! :) I will miss them but I won't miss the poo all over the floor or the way they spill their water all over the brooder so I have to clean it everyday instead of every week. they will be in a HUGE coop with tons of indoor and outdoor running room! they'll be happy! so anyway stay tuned for more chick updates!

aww your chicks are so cute! my RIRs look EXACTLY like yours!!
Thx! do you have pics of them? I wanna see! :D :)
we're a few weeks behind you and just getting started planning the coop.

Did you post the pictures of the coop building somewhere?
Sadly no. I don't have any pics of us building the coop. my camera was broken at that time :(

heh :)

Last edited:
BEAUTIFUL!! anyways if everyone likes the chick pics I could post pics hmm once a week and keep doing this blog type thing everytime they do something interesting or when I have questions. you guys like that idea? oh and don't forget you can post your pics too! i'd love to see some chickies! breed and age doesn't matter!
smile.png
woot.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom