New to deep litter method (and chickens). Any adice

mgharris30

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
East Texas
I live in East Texas. My coop is a converted metal shed. Just over 5x11. There are concrete pavers for the floor, but also dirt. We made a window and have a box fan in there. The people door is hardware wire.
My run is 18x18– dirt and grass, an old tree stump, and an old play house where we keep fresh water. We keep feed outside the playhouse. The only “food” in the coop is oyster shells. We use flock grower.
Currently, I have three laying hens— barred rock, buff Orpington, and something I can’t pronounce (medium, black and white, cool “hair”) and two pullets (either EE or barnyard mix, time will tell)
How do I start deep litter?? I was just adding pine chips when I saw dirt or poop while the hens eat the grass. OH SO MANY FLIES! Less in the coop but the run is almost covered. We did the stinky traps and the green soap and the promethean diluted spray. Nothing works. 🙁
So, how much bedding should I start with? I take up the food at night. Should I also take up the water? They get clean water in the morning. Every time I take a step, there are flies.
Oh, and I’m going to have to add at least one poop-type board over my nesting boxes. The barred rock and Orpington won’t let anyone else on the 8 ft roost with them, so I’m gonna add one at the back of the coop.
I also have 7 chicks and two sea brights in a separate coop. I’d love for them all to live together, but idk if I have enough room.

Here is my article on Deep Bedding in a Small Coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

I don't have a link for a good Deep Litter article on hand, but there is a long and active thread about a composting run here in this section of the forums. That might help.

The key to getting Deep Litter to work in your run is to get the levels of nitrogen, carbon, and moisture into a good balance and keep them there. :)

Here is my article on Deep Bedding in a Small Coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

I don't have a link for a good Deep Litter article on hand, but there is a long and active thread about a composting run here in this section of the forums. That might help.

The key to getting Deep Litter to work in your run is to get the levels of nitrogen, carbon, and moisture into a good balance and keep them there. :)
It was interesting reading your article because I feel that deep bedding was more work and money throughout the week than scooping, and you feel that scooping is more work than deep bedding.

When I first got chickens I was spending about $13ish a month adding bedding and still moisture was an enormous problem. Plus dragging the pine shavings out of storage to add more once a week was hard for me to manage physically. I practiced deep bedding for 18 months. The first six months I used straw and I hated it. Then I transitioned to pine shavings.

Now I have poop boards, I keep the scoop and a bucket hanging by the door of the coop, takes me a minute to scoop the poop, which I can do every two days, and I replace the bedding twice a year, adding a little replenishment as needed. So I spend about $39 a year on bedding vs $156 a year. The compost bin is about 20' from the coop so every two days I have to dump the bucket. The few times I've gone on vacation, I've not asked anyone to scoop the poop. I just scoop it when I come home, and I've been gone for two weeks at the longest.

As for deep litter composting, I'd probably choose that route in the run over sand and scooping. While I am hoping to transition to a covered run, my girls currently free range so I don't have hands on experience there.

I have 32 chickens currently. I enjoy that small morning routine with my chickens. It gives me a chance to double check their food and water. Collect the occasional surprise egg laid early in the morning, pet a couple of my friendly girls or interact with any chicks. Cockerels grow up being used to my presence in the coop.

I think what it comes down to is there is no right or wrong way, as long as that way works for you AND keeps your flock in a healthy environment. For me, I gave deep bedding a fair chance and in the end drifted to other methods.

Last edited:
It was interesting reading your article because I feel that deep bedding was more work and money throughout the week than scooping, and you feel that scooping is more work than deep bedding.

When I first got chickens I was spending about $13ish a month adding bedding and still moisture was an enormous problem. Plus dragging the pine shavings out of storage to add more once a week was hard for me to manage physically. I practiced deep bedding for 18 months. The first six months I used straw and I hated it. Then I transitioned to pine shavings.

Now I have poop boards, I keep the scoop and a bucket hanging by the door of the coop, takes me a minute to scoop the poop, which I can do every two days, and I replace the bedding twice a year, adding a little replenishment as needed. So I spend about $39 a year on bedding vs $156 a year. The compost bin is about 20' from the coop so every two days I have to dump the bucket. The few times I've gone on vacation, I've not asked anyone to scoop the poop. I just scoop it when I come home, and I've been gone for two weeks at the longest.

As for deep litter composting, I'd probably choose that route in the run over sand and scooping. While I am hoping to transition to a covered run, my girls currently free range so I don't have hands on experience there.

I have 32 chickens currently. I enjoy that small morning routine with my chickens. It gives me a chance to double check their food and water. Collect the occasional surprise egg laid early in the morning, pet a couple of my friendly girls or interact with any chicks. Cockerels grow up being used to my presence in the coop.

I think what it comes down to is there is no right or wrong way, as long as that way works for you AND keeps your flock in a healthy environment. For me, I gave deep bedding a fair chance and in the end drifted to other methods.

I've lost track of how long it's been since I cleaned out this time, probably closer to 16 weeks than to 12, but I know I haven't added any bedding for over a month -- and that was more "broken bale" straw. With the longer days keeping the chickens out of the coop in the run and a dry spring this is one of the longest bedding cycles I've ever had.

I've never had a moisture problem in my coop, even when brooding chicks who had gotten big enough to knock over their waterer from time to time.

I only drag the entire bale of shavings to the coop when doing a full cleanout. When I add more during the cycle I just carry shavings in a 5-gallon bucket. The bale stays in it's storage spot next to the feed.

I agree 100% with your final point -- there is no one right way to do this chicken thing. Each person should try whatever method seems most appealing and then, if it doesn't work, tweak the details or try a totally different method.

Oh, oh! I got this one! Is it a Houdan (said like who-dan)? Or a Polish (depends on how you say polish or Poland, though they ain't from there) ?
Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Attachments

• C9AB3DF8-8EF0-40AA-9FFE-B4F1580655B2.jpeg
    C9AB3DF8-8EF0-40AA-9FFE-B4F1580655B2.jpeg
    661.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom