New to duck hatching...please help me here??

ladybug99

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Monroe New Jersey
Hello
I started out with 9 shipped call duck eggs and to my surprise I am at lockdown with 4 of them actually still moving about inside and two more that are questionable. I have the humidity at 70.. should I make adjustments???

I have only hatched them under a broody hen but go to sundown silkie webpage and read what she says about hatching and helping call duck eggs if you follow her instructions you should be fine,good luck

Hi LADYBUG 70 should be ok if thats all you can get i incubate muscovy eggs at 55-60 and hatch at 70-85% and have never had a problem just rember to keep the incubator closed at all times when there piping and all should be ok:thumbsup let us know how you go.

I have some chicken eggs in there as well.. my last hatch of chicks was miserable due to low humidity....we moved the incubator to a more stable area and everything has gone fine so far.. the babies are due to start hatching out tonight.. there was movement in 4 eggs at the beginning of lock down and dark blobs in two more....this time we will not be opening the bator for any reason!! I am new to hatching and still learning....but I always find great advice here. I did check out the silkie site and wow what beautiful birds!! very informative sight as well

Thank you for your help.. and I will let you know what happens...

yes chicken and duck have different incubation days and i have found that ducks need a little bit mord humidty in the incubation and hatch. being new to incubating i would try to keep to one breed at a time because you need to be fairly close to getting them to hatch out at the same time. a bad hatch can be a few things other then humidity but keep us posted and we will do what we can to help. regards mick

Last edited:
Yes, they are in there together, I put the chicken eggs in 7 days after the duck eggs....is this going to be a problem? I was told they can hatch out together.. well it is definately too late now.. I do see some of the eggs moving so .. so far so good. They will be kept in seperate brooders once they are hatched.

Duck eggs take 26 to 28 days my call duck eggs under my duck hatched on day 25 so you might have the ducks first .All I can say is they are sooooo cute but soooooo messy but I love them all, at the moment I have 4 4 week olds ,9 2 week olds, 6 week olds all in cages and pens and 4 3 day olds under a duck those 4 are the easiest

Wow, Ladybug, you and I are in the same boat! lol

I just went into lockdown with 4 out of 9 shipped call duck eggs. I would try to get the humidity a little higher. Try putting a wet sponge into the incubator or spraying water in through a vent hole. Call ducks seem to need more humidity than other ducks. Mine have always been super sensitive to humidity. Good luck!!!

At lock down for Rouen Duck eggs my humidity is 80-83ish & temp is 99. they hatch best with humidity up. And DON'T Open bator at all especially once there is a pip. it makes it kinda hard trying to hatch both chicken & duck eggs together b/c humidity for chicken eggs isn't quite as high & chicken eggs are 21 days and ducks are 28 days to hatch but can take a little longer. its very important during incubation that the temp & humidity are steady. good luck with your hatch, ~Julie~ }}}To up the humidity i find it best to take 2 wash rags get them wet with real warm water then squeeze the water out, but not too much( a Little more than damp) lay them in bator. My humidity then goes up & stays real good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom