new to duck questions

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
I currently have 6 chickens in a chicken tractor. We have been considering ordering turkeys from McMurray... We don't want 15 turkeys (The minimum order), so we think it would be best to get the barnyard combo, which includes 2 goslings, 7 ducks and 7 turkeys.

How much space do they need in their housing? Can they be housed with the geese/chickens/turkeys? Would they be nice to the chickens etc if they were all free ranging? How long do they have to be locked up before they can free range? And, has anyone had success with a tractor sort of house for their ducks? would my chickens drown in their swimming pool? Should I be concerned about the ratio of males to females?

Thanks for your help

How much space do they need in their housing?

About three square feet per bird minimum for their house, ten square feet per bird minimum for their yard if they regularly have access to pasture - otherwise twenty-five square feet each (Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks)

Can they be housed with the geese/chickens/turkeys? That depends. Ducks need a separate waterer as they get food and mud in their water. Also depends on temperaments. For some it works, for others it does not.

Would they be nice to the chickens etc if they were all free ranging? Depends on personalities. Many small flocks run together.

How long do they have to be locked up before they can free range? If you are getting day-olds, they will learn where home is and if they have been treated well (in their opinions that probably means they feel safe and get regular treats, such as peas), will probably come home regularly (there are exceptions to this).

And, has anyone had success with a tractor sort of house for their ducks? I have read of this - there are youtube videos demonstrating this.

would my chickens drown in their swimming pool? They could, if you don't set it up to prevent this from happening. Shallow water is one good strategy, with easy exit.

Should I be concerned about the ratio of males to females? Yes you should. Minimum three females per male, some breeds more like five or six females per drake.

Back
Top Bottom