new to duckies

danyale

Hatching
Mar 11, 2016
Hello..i am new to having ducks and have some questions about them laying. Our neighbor just gave us two 4wk old ducklings he said they were muscovies so i have read they dont lay as much as other ducks do which is fine..i dont want to hatch any babies really i just want fresh eggs lol with that being said from what ive read they may be a boy and a girl. Will all the eggs be fertilized or will there be some we can gather to eat? He gave us an egg to try but when i cracked it there was blood in there along with what looked like a fish eye (weird). Should we just wait and see if one is a male and swap it for another girl or is there a way around it to het edible eggs? Thanks.

Fertile eggs are perfectly edible. Blood can be found in even infertile eggs, you just don't see it much in store bought eggs. Not sure what you saw that looked like a fish eye. Could it be described as a bullseye? If yes then it was fertile.

I think you just have to get over the idea of eating a fertile egg. It's more a psychological thing.

This was quite a bit of blood attached to a dark grayish black circle thing..i dont care how ok that is to eat i can never bring myself to eat it..will all fertile ones look like that or are they suppose to be gathered sooner?

Back
Top Bottom