New to Ducking

cowetatina

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2016
Newnan, Georgia
I rescued 2 Easter Ducklings last spring and with the help of my local feed store I was able to raise them to healthy and happy adults. I fenced a area in with costed wire 4 foot fencing. I left a opening that allowed them into the spring that led to the pond. Every morning I would go down and sleek to them and feed them. They had began mating but never any eggs. I had also provided a shelter that I built out of stones and moss with a solid roof as well as another shelter on a small island in the small pond. They never used either shelter
1f629.png
Two days ago Inwent down to greet them and feed them and Inoly saw may male swimming in circles in the middle of the pond. He was quacking, and he was usually very quiet. I looked everywhere for my female Edwina. She was always VERY vocal. I could not find her. My mail swam up to me and went over by the shelter and kept quacking and trying to bite me. I looked inside and found Edwina. He head and neck were gone. A clean cut, no blood or feathers everywhere and her legs were as if something drug her in and removed her head and left her. Now I don't know what took her life and whatever it was must have jumped the fence. I immediately threw together a temporary coop for him at night. He is being very vocal and trying to bite and nip. He does not like it. Please advise me of what Inshould do?! Should I raise him alone, get him a female friend. I know someone that has several males and they would give me a couple. Or should Infone him a home?
Please Advise me, I am so heartbroken for the loss of Edwina.

I would say get a few males, and start a trio, but it is a lot harder especially since they are not raised together.

I would consider another female friend and fix them a run with a top over it.

I rescued 2 Easter Ducklings last spring and with the help of my local feed store I was able to raise them to healthy and happy adults. I fenced a area in with costed wire 4 foot fencing. I left a opening that allowed them into the spring that led to the pond. Every morning I would go down and sleek to them and feed them. They had began mating but never any eggs. I had also provided a shelter that I built out of stones and moss with a solid roof as well as another shelter on a small island in the small pond. They never used either shelter
1f629.png
Two days ago Inwent down to greet them and feed them and Inoly saw may male swimming in circles in the middle of the pond. He was quacking, and he was usually very quiet. I looked everywhere for my female Edwina. She was always VERY vocal. I could not find her. My mail swam up to me and went over by the shelter and kept quacking and trying to bite me. I looked inside and found Edwina. He head and neck were gone. A clean cut, no blood or feathers everywhere and her legs were as if something drug her in and removed her head and left her. Now I don't know what took her life and whatever it was must have jumped the fence. I immediately threw together a temporary coop for him at night. He is being very vocal and trying to bite and nip. He does not like it. Please advise me of what Inshould do?! Should I raise him alone, get him a female friend. I know someone that has several males and they would give me a couple. Or should Infone him a home?
Please Advise me, I am so heartbroken for the loss of Edwina.
Yeah, that is sad......Sorry for the loss..

Males would be fine......Not sure of your situation? The same predator will possibly come back though and kill the other Ducks also.....You might want to bring them closer to the house and build a pen for them.......You would also want to lock them up at night in a Duck house.........
Best advise I can give you...

Cheers!

I bought a large pen and I can not get them in. I tried again this evening for 2 hours. I have not fed them so they would be hungry and that didn't work, I bought worms and that didn't work; I even tried fish food (they love it) and that didn't work. Any more suggestions to try and catch them before what ever killed one comes again.

I bought a large pen and I can not get them in. I tried again this evening for 2 hours. I have not fed them so they would be hungry and that didn't work, I bought worms and that didn't work; I even tried fish food (they love it) and that didn't work. Any more suggestions to try and catch them before what ever killed one comes again.

That sounds exhausting! Your ducks are clearly very loved...

Here's what I suggest.
Maybe try to put some much loved food (Like watermelon, peas...fish food..
tongue.png
) into the ducks pen, to see if that lures them in. Ducks are very food motivated, but, as flock animals, they are easy to herd....Most of the time....
Are you trying to herd them into a pen while they are on land? Or in the pond?
Another suggestion is: Maybe you can get them to come to you (With food), and then grab one individual duck, put them in the pen, lock the door, repeat?
Or, you could catch one individual duck, again, by getting them to come to you via food. Then, grab the duck, walk away, and see if the others follow you. Most ducks are very highly bonded to each other, and will follow a flockmate in need, no matter how reluctantly.

I hope this helps! Please keep us posted, and
welcome-byc.gif
!!

@cowetatina Have you tried to herd. walking slowly behind your ducks with arms open wide to guide or using 1or 2 long poles in either hand to guide. Sometimes when you are first training to herd having someone to help works too.

I'm not great at maneuvering around on this site so this may not be the place to ask all of my questions. But I will still ask and if anyone knows the answers please chime in.
I will post a photo of my rescue ducks so maybe someone will know what kind they are. Also, when I just had the male (very colorful) he was pretty friendly, even though I couldn't pet him but he would come close and eat from a bowl in my hand. Once I got the female (the brown one) he has became aggressive. He puts he head down almost to ram you. He had hit me hard a couple of times. Why is he doing this now? Also now they are now roaming a lot. They came up to my house today 3 times! And we are on a few acres. I am worried because I have a salt water pool.

Back
Top Bottom