new to ducklings

Sophia_luvbug

Chirping
May 14, 2022
recently, I got to Pekin ducklings. This is my first time ever with ducks I’ve only ever raised Buttonquail and chickens, and they were both from self incubation. I bought the duck things already hatched when I go to pick them up they seem to scurry away, which is normal for new birds. But they seem to make a huffing noise like a quick exhale is that normal? Also, how old do they have to be before I can give the meal worms and veggies? The other weird thing is they’re fine when they’re being cuddled in held just not being picked up. They have a heat lamp there about one week of age I would assume but they seem to sleep on the complete other side of the cage where there’s no heat in the bed and gets a little wet from the water. Do I have to raise the heat lamp a little more cause it’s quite cold in my room and I feel bad making it any colder in there Brooder but I also feel bad that they’re laying in the damp area of the cage any advice is appreciated

recently, I got to Pekin ducklings. This is my first time ever with ducks I’ve only ever raised Buttonquail and chickens, and they were both from self incubation. I bought the duck things already hatched when I go to pick them up they seem to scurry away, which is normal for new birds. But they seem to make a huffing noise like a quick exhale is that normal? Also, how old do they have to be before I can give the meal worms and veggies? The other weird thing is they’re fine when they’re being cuddled in held just not being picked up. They have a heat lamp there about one week of age I would assume but they seem to sleep on the complete other side of the cage where there’s no heat in the bed and gets a little wet from the water. Do I have to raise the heat lamp a little more cause it’s quite cold in my room and I feel bad making it any colder in there Brooder but I also feel bad that they’re laying in the damp area of the cage any advice is appreciated
Yeah, ours always have seem to run away, but be fairly ok when actually being handled. We will give ours treats usually no earlier than a week and half to two weeks, after providing them some chick grit. When you do just make sure it is really small, we usually just start with greens chopped real fine. Meal worms we don't tend to give them until at least 2 weeks or later. They could possibly have them sooner, we just always lean on the side of caution so they don't choke. If they are going to the other side away from your heat lamp, you probably do need to raise it a bit. We have noticed that ducks sometimes do try and just hang out near the water, cause they really love it so much though. We have tried many ways to keep them from making the area damp, it is just about impossible to completely eliminate it from our experience. Best we have found is bowl with holes in top just big enough they can stick their head in comfortably. On top of a pan with a grate and some sort of surface to be more gentle on their feet than just the grate. I typically add bedding frequently to also make it where they are not laying in the damp bedding. Obviously if it gets too wet we just replace it all. As they will not have their oils for a bit or feathers it is important to keep their bodies as dry as possible to help prevent them from getting chilled. We usually start giving them some time swimming around a week and a half, which seems to help them start getting the oils. Yesterday we let our 4 week olds swim in the kiddie pool, and you could already see the water rolling off them, and they are not even fully feathered. We supervised them, and never did we feel the need to make them get out, they came out and preened just like our adults, and did not appear soaked at all. It was in the 70s here, and at that age was out in our yard nearly all day playing foraging and having a grand old time, eating some ants even. Those heat lamps put off a lot of heat, so when you are brooding a smaller group in a smaller brooder, it tends to heat the whole room for us. If they are panting, and not under your heat, they are no doubt too hot. I know you didn't say they was, but it is a sign you can look for to help you find that perfect for them.

Back
Top Bottom